Pecan Sweet Buns
Ingredients 12 servings
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
3 tablespoons butter, melted
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup brown rice syrup or light corn syrup
- 1 cup chopped fresh cranberries (see Tips)
- ⅓ cup chopped pecans
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 cup white whole-wheat flour (see Tips)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup cold buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Combine melted butter, brown sugar, brown rice syrup (or corn syrup), cranberries, pecans and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a small bowl. Divide among the muffin cups, spreading about 1 tablespoon in the bottom of each.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda and the remaining ½ teaspoon cinnamon in a large bowl. Add cold butter and, using two knives (or your fingertips), cut (or crumble) the butter until it’s the size of small peas. Drizzle with buttermilk and oil; stir just until combined. Spoon the batter on top of the cranberry mixture, using about 2 tablespoons for each.
- Bake rolls until lightly brown around the edges, 18 to 20 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then run a knife around the edges of each to loosen. Place a large serving tray over the pan and invert the rolls onto it. Spoon any topping left in the pan onto the rolls. Serve warm.
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate topping (Step 2) and dough (Step 3) in separate containers for up to 1 day.
Now enjoy these scrumptious pecan sweet buns!